Learn about WordPress
It is a free and open source content management system – CMS which is based on PHP framework and MySQL. For people not familiar with the term open source, it means the platform is not restricted under copyright or trademark and is freely available for anyone to download and modify (under what is called the GNU General Public License).
It provides a template system and plugin architecture. When it started off, it was primarily used for blogging. Later on it also supported other types of web content.
WordPress has become the most popular website management system in use. It is gaining acceleration towards other application domains such as PDS (persuasive display systems).
Its primary support website is WordPress.org. This supports website hosts both WordPress Codex, the online manual for WordPress and a living repository for WordPress information and documentation and WordPress Forums, an active online community of WordPress users.
Benefits of using WordPress
Since its inception in 2003, it has become the most famous and preferred CMS. There are several reasons which has drawn it such a user base.
- It is extremely easy to use with an intuitive interface. User can add new pages, images, blog posts etc very easily without assistance.
- It is browser based which makes it accessible from anywhere.
- It is a self contained system, hence does not require any HTML editing s/w. A user can create new pages, blog posts, text formatting, images uploading etc without FTP s/w.
- It has a very simple and clean code, which makes it search engine friendly. The search engines can easily read and index a wordpress site’s content.
- WordPress let’s a user have complete control over the site and its various aspects. It rules out the dependency on a technical person to make edits to your website.
- A WordPress site is full customizable in terms of UI & UX aspects
- It was originally created as a blogging platform, hence the capabilities are built-in and are easily integrated.
- It provides a wide range of customizable plugins which lets you extend functionality of a website
- Websites built on wordpress are very scalable. The number of pages or blog post will not directly affect the performance of the site.
- It has a multi-user setup, hence an admin can setup multiple users and assign different access levels respectively.
Future of WordPress…
In the coming days, wordpress is moving in a direction where it will no longer be known as a CMS only. It is moving towards becoming a robust framework that will run all kinds of applications. With the REST API, we will be able to create apps in any programming language and run it on wordpress.
b)Wordpress is envisioning to include security tools which can keep the sites secure proactively. The introduction of Tide, will ensure that the wordpress core is able to verify that the plugins and theme downloads are correct.
c)The progress towards visual page builders, multi-purpose themes and advanced frameworks makes it very clear that the front end design will be a key and need JS skills.
d)They are focussing towards a tougher and smarter theme which has more built in features. E.g. shopping carts and checkout systems.
e)It is moving towards a direction where new or experienced users can run app running on wordpress via REST API. Alongside the visual builder accelerates creation and launching of websites.
f)As the features and functionalities continue to grow the support will also be extended. Also wordpress is taking initiatives to ensure improved assistance to managed wordpress sites.
Overall it looks bright as they take each step towards improvement and diversification of services.