Importance of Github
What is Github?
Github, in simple words, is a code hosting platform for collaboration and versioning control. It provides a space for a team to work together on projects. It is web-based and majorly used for computer code. Alongside workflow, it provides distributed version control and source code management.
- Repositories – Repo
- Pull Requests
Git is built in C, with some components (mainly UI) written in higher level languages.
Purpose of Github
Since it is a version control system (VCS) for tracking changes in computer files and coordinating the work on the same files by one or multiple people. The primary purpose is source code management in software development, however, it can be used to keep track of changes in any set of files.
How does it work?
Github has developed a process as easy as possible. It’s as easy as signing up, installing, creating your first repository and finally making your first commit!
What are the benefits?
Companies & developers should be motivated to use Github as it strives towards these great benefits:
- Ease of contributing to open source projects.
- Assists in greater excellent documentation.
- Reliable for showcasing profile and work.
- Markdown feature allows you to use a simple text editor to write formatted documents.
- Simple issue tracker and user comments process.
- It allows the work done to get publicized.
- It helps track changes in code across versions.
- It can easily integrate with common platforms such as Amazon & Google Cloud.
The benefits of using Github are substantial. With its user-friendly interface, customizable tools, reliability and its ability to provide guidance to each developer it surely is the right choice for SevenVerbs and provides us with the ability to deliver high-quality performance!
-Ritesh Sharma, Senior Solutions Consultant
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!